12 detsember 2008

Ilsa got boot

I've been working on Ilsa 1:10 statue in last a couple of days. Found some great reference images for German uniforms! Some of them, like belt images, click and fill-in perfectly to Mignola's detail-sparse world.

It's always the problem with sculpting from strong artistic vision - how exactly should one go with it? There are 3 ways to make, let's say - boots, the could look like a) in real world, b) on Mignola's drawings c) I would sculpt them.
There isn't enough details on Hellboy frames for all the needed details and angles, so something must always be made up. It's a compromise and it's not easy. And there's not enough commercial statues and toys to swipe from... Most of them look like shit, even Mezco action figures are not that great and have some weird details. On the same time, I'm positive that it's not possible to make Hellboy statues as laconic
as Jonathan Matthews' Batman Black and White statue.

But still, for some reason, trying to make Mike Mignola's art to work in 3D is so much more interesting, teaching and finally rewarding than just trying to sculpt photorealism.


So - Ilsa has belt now. Also, her right leg is almost ready, made some nice details from reference, not seen in comics. (Or if they are, they're always in shadows.) I'll try to add a couple of buckles tomorrow, then the boot area will be ready and I can post some pretty cool macro pics with the whole leg. Not 100% Mignola but as close as I could do. So far I'm very happy with new details and even if all other Mignola fans will hate them... I don't care! :)

PS: everything's fine and I will continue with this sculpt until it's ready! :-)

Kommentaare ei ole: