16 märts 2010

Liz bust - painting #04 - still painting...

Here's the reason I wanted to have and make fire girl Liz Sherman's bust.

Randy Bowen sculpted and released his Abe Sapien mini bust at the end of the last century, I got it years later from Ebay. He also made Hellboy bust of similar size, but I don't like it that much, so I don't have it. (I'd love to have his big Hellboy-with-tentacles statue though, it's still one of the coolest Hellboy sculpts, but it's not very economically practical idea to try to hunt one down from Ebay, now, after two movies.)

I really liked the composition and idea of Abe bust, the cylindrical stone base with fish motive. It looked like this idea could work for other Hellboy characters too... Like professor Trevor Bruttenholm with books and cryptic symbols... I wanted to have another similar bust, to display them together, probably on two sides of some bigger Hellboy statue or bust. Of course there wasn't any available, so - why not to try to make one myself?...

And here I am, finally painting it. The whole sculpting was a long learning trip, so if I'd start again today, I'd made some details different. Like the head - when I realized that it should always be tilted on every statue and not look stright ahead, it was too late - I had cool hair and when changing the position of the head I should've sculpt totally new hair. They looked too good to destroy. So, here I am, with the little bit wooden mini bust...

Next time I'll be smarter.

1 kommentaar:

Josh ütles ...

I'll be watching the mail for some castings...Liz...Ilsa...hahaha!!

J!