14 märts 2010

Liz bust - painting #03 - painting...

Now to painting! Finally! When I started this Sunday afternoon I was hoping to maybe finish stony base part of the bust. But, as it turned out, I painted some more!...

Base - as I already wrote, I started with black base coat. The whole stone texture is painted with only white. First some layers of liquid paint, to make it more gray than black and to make it not that uniformly one color. And then more layers of white, with literally "dry brush", with minimal amount of paint. This method is a real brush killer... But it brings out all the textures better than any other method.

And then to Liz character. I started with "burnt umber", painted the whole statue brown (over the black). I really liked the look it had then, like some sort of very dark patina. But, of course, then came all the other colors and "destroyed" this cool artsy look.


First detail to REALLY paint was leather jacket, used some 3-4 different colors for it. Haven't seen it in daylight yet, but it turned out very nice! Leather looks like the jacket I have... :) Some metallic paints for buckle and rivets and it looks even better!

Not much to wrote of the later... made skin, basic eyes, basic eyebrows, cross, t-shirt, all of them will need some more work. The most frustrating thing is - when painting with microscopic brush and the hand slips and then there's some wrong paint in a very wrong spot and some swearing in the air. I like the swearing part, but I hate the other one.

Anyway, I hope this Winsor & Newton's Art Masking Fluid I have still works, so I can mask the face and jacket with it and can start to paint hair! There is NO hair on those photos, just dark brown paint. I'll try to use several browns, reds and oranges for it. Liz is not brunette!

3 kommentaari:

Joshua Izzo ütles ...

SOOOOOOOO Nice!!! Man, this is lookign SHARP!! I can;t wait to see this finished up and next to Abe!

Josh!

Ivar ütles ...

I can show it to you next to Abe later today... ;)

Joshua Izzo ütles ...

Sweet! E-mail me the pics.

I just finshed painted a Hellboy suite of busts named "alter ego" and sculpted after Skottie Young. They were a BLAST. I have the Frank Cho kit, the PSi Kroenen bust (to match the HB1 Sideshow busts) and the Nagle kit to do....but I needs me some Ivar love on the shelf!

J!