14 märts 2010

Liz bust - painting #02 - base coat

Here's Liz bust painted black with acrylics. I'm not an experienced painter of kits and statues, far from it. Also I don't have a compressor (I still have an old airbrush), so all my painting is brushes, paint washes and dry brushing. I tried different ways, but it looks to me that the best way for me to paint is to start with dark base coat.

I first thought that this time I should paint the "stone base" part of the bust black and "figure" part dark brown, just to make later life a little bit easier. But turned out acrylics I have act very differently. Russian black paint makes a very-very thin layer when dry, it's matte and brings out the details and clean-up imperfections. The statue will look pretty cool, like covered with dull black dust. But brown French Louvre acrylics... This brown started to peel from primer and was too thick. Strangely, when I was washing it of with running tap water and toothbrush it came off like rubbery film and most all of the Russian black paint was still there. Weird.

Anyway, I painted it all black and started from there...

Kommentaare ei ole: